Friday, May 19, 2017

HEY CHICK!


Hey Chick! Is the name of the card that is posted at the end of this long post! It’s also the name of the Stampin’ Up stamp set with various chickens on it that I used. Cool! But first a long but funny post about our day at the park and more.



This has been quite the week. On Wednesday Joe really wanted to go to Point Pelee instead of Rondeau to look for the migratory warblers. Point Pelee is THE birding capital of Canada and its about 20 minutes or so longer drive from here than Rondeau. So, off we went…after calling my friend to tell her that we were going to the Point and I would not likely make it to the quilt guild meeting that night….Joe said we could leave early so I could make it but I knew that was never going to happen. So, we get to the point, ate the sub we stopped to get, and headed out to the trails. Now, if you read a few of the last posts you will recall me saying that it has been a very cold and rainy May so far and we had a touch of frost the other night…..well, Mother Nature had a hot flash!....it was so hot and humid there that we were sweating in T-shirts…….and there were few birds…..we saw 4 warblers. Four! We finally called it quits about 5:30 and had to decide if we were going home to eat or go out to eat. We were so tired and hungry we decided to eat out.



There are two decent restaurants close to the Point. Paula’s Fish Place – its okay, not cheap and very noisy when busy….and it was busy…..on to the next one…..Freddy’s. We always enjoy their fish and chips which Joe had a hunger for and I like their falafels. We get there and they have taken both off the menu. Rats. We don’t eat meat; Joe doesn’t like any other fish and their veggie burger and chips was $14.95…yikes….we pay about $6.75 for a veggie burger, fries and drinks at Rondeau….we left…..and we never walk out of a restaurant but I told Joe I was not paying $14.95 for a veggie burger that I didn’t really want. On into Leamington where we know they have a Just Joey’s which is another fish place. Joe got his fish and chips and I had a shrimp linguini dish. They were both excellent $10.00 meals….too bad they cost $21.00 each. By this time we didn’t care and figured the prices have simply gone up that much since we were there last….and it’s the start of tourist season so everything goes up.

We get home; shower and turn on the computer and the first thing I check is the bird count at Rondeau to see how it compares to the pitiful day we had - bumper day there! They had new warblers that are seldom seen. Boy, can we pick the day to skip there or what!



Thursday….still hot and humid but the grass needed cutting and I wanted to hang the clothes on the clothesline. Joe cuts the back grass while the first load of laundry is in. He turns the lawnmower off and it won’t start again. It’s only a year old and he has never liked it. I was annoyed with him last year because he didn’t buy one of the push started that are self propelled so when he was going to take this one back to the dealer I begged him to just trade it in and get one easier for him to start and use….he’s 77 years old and I worry every time he cuts the grass.  I didn't hold much hope that he would do it ......but.....he did it! He bought the one he should have bought last year! The downside is that we also had someone come out to measure and price new flooring for the kitchen/eating area and laminate flooring for the living room/dining room. One of these may be delayed! I don’t care!



So, it’s been a busy, eventful week so far and the weekend will be busier. This is a long weekend here in Canada….the MAY TWO-4. When I was a child, many decades ago, it was called Victoria Day to celebrate the birthday of Queen Victoria of England…although it didn’t fall on her birthday….and…….somewhere along the way it got renamed to simply MAY TWO-4….as in May 24th, which it doesn’t usually fall on either….who cares, it’s a holiday! We are having two of our grandsons come for the weekend so it will be busy!.....by the way, the hot flash is over and we are back to having a very cool day…..like a hoodies and jacket day…brrrr.



And now the card. Since I’ve been fighting this virus for two months!!!! I have not had any creative juices flowing at all. I would go down to the lower studio, aka the basement, and nothing came together. The other night I went down and actually finished a card – hooray, the crafting muse is back on track!




I stamped the chicken on white cardstock and the head only on white cardstock and then coloured them with Distress Inks using a Stampin’ Up blender pen to pick up the colour. Then I stamped it again on another piece of white cardstock and die cut it with the Stampin’ Up oval stitched dies – love these! I cut out the chicken less the legs and glued it on over the stamped image. Then I coloured the hair?? and glued it on. This paper piecing just adds some dimension to the card. The grass was stamped and blended out. I had no idea what to do for a background but I had these pieces in the stash and decided to use them. The top and bottom pieces were embossed to add some extra interest. The fancy oval was already cut and in the stash but it was a little light in colour so I sponged Distress Ink Broken China over it and it looked better. The little stamped sentiment came with the set and it was stamped on a die cut tiny Cuttlebug label, glued on with a dimensional strip.



Here is the inside of the card. I don’t usually post the inside but I had to this time or the card wouldn’t make much sense.






Three different stamps from three different companies used. The little egg and the egg sentiment came with the set. I’m looking forward to stamping and making more cards from the other chickens now! This would be a fun card to send to a friend for no particular reason.



That’s all for a cool Friday, May 19, 2017. Have a wonderful and safe weekend everyone.





Cheers

Violet



Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards or other items I post to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest save sign shows up in the top left corner and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account. If it doesn’t work, please leave a comment and let me know so I fix it. Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...